Return to: Programs by Degree Type
DRAFT CT State Community College Catalog 2023-2024
- New students enrolling for the first time in Fall 2023 will begin as students of Connecticut State Community College under this draft catalog.
- Continuing students from one of the 12 community colleges will be transitioned into a CT State program in this draft catalog as of the start of the Fall 2023 term.
- This catalog is a draft to be finalized in the Spring of 2023. The policies, courses and programs described are not applicable until the Fall 2023 term and may be updated as circumstances require.
This program is recommended for students interested in upgrading their skills to become more marketable in an increasingly technological work environment. Coursework focuses on business communications and computer applications to provide students with the skills necessary to secure entry-level administrative employment opportunities.
Upon successful completion of all Administrative Support Specialist certificate program requirements, graduates will:
- Demonstrate keyboarding and data-entry speed and accuracy, including proofreading, according to industry accepted standards.
- Create and modify standard types of business communications in both printed and electronic forms.
- Acquire up-to-date skills in the following areas: accounting, word processing, spreadsheet, database, project management, presentation, personal information management, web technologies, and speech recognition.
- Show effective time management and organizational skills.
- Display strong interpersonal and human relations skills required for success in a professional setting including: professionalism, adaptability to change, initiative, confidentiality, positive attitude and human relations and creativity.
- Demonstrate decision-making ability; acquire and utilize information to solve problems; demonstrate computer knowledge; communication skills and business procedures using ability-based projects; and demonstrate responsibility, positive attitude, self-management, honesty and confidentiality.
- Contribute as a productive team member in a culturally and intellectually diverse global environment.
At the time of publication, this certificate is a WIOA-approved program: http://www1.ctdol.state.ct.us/etc/program_det.asp?strProgPrevious=proglist&intProgramID=1492
Upon completion of this option, graduates gain direct entry into the local general administrative support job market in such positions (titles vary depending on the organization) as: Executive Assistant, Administrative Assistant, Project Coordinator/Project Assistant, Administrative Specialist/Associate, Program Assistant, Accounting Clerk, Office Manager, Office Clerk, School Secretary, Sales/Marketing Assistant, Human Resources Assistant, Customer Service Representative, Property Management Assistant, Mortgage Assistant, Claims Processor, Dispatcher, Data Entry Verification Specialist, and Receptionist.
Upon completion of this option, graduates can elect to take the following industry-recognized certifications:
• Microsoft Office Specialist (certifications by exam per application)
• Certified Administrative Professional (CAP)