Return to: Programs by Degree Type
DRAFT CT State Community College Catalog 2023-2024
- New students enrolling for the first time in Fall 2023 will begin as students of Connecticut State Community College under this draft catalog.
- Continuing students from one of the 12 community colleges will be transitioned into a CT State program in this draft catalog as of the start of the Fall 2023 term.
- This catalog is a draft to be finalized in the Spring of 2023. The policies, courses and programs described are not applicable until the Fall 2023 term and may be updated as circumstances require.
Students enrolled in this degree program are provided a broad base of cultural and historical knowledge about dance and dance technique, pedagogy, and repertoire in the diverse genres of dance. The creative process is fostered through inclusion and learning opportunities in production skills, the art of choreography, and performance. This foundation prepares students to further their study of, teach, choreograph, and/or perform dance. Students must be physically capable of participating in studio courses. Students explore dance through seminar, lecture, fieldwork (attending live performances), and participation in lab (dance exercises).
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate and execute warm-up exercises specific to all dance forms (ballet, modern, ethnic, jazz).
- Execute a desirable physical activity, preparation, and training for the arts as a dancer, actor, or/and musician intellectually.
- Execute a variety of choreographic styles to enhance and broaden movement.
- Use choreographic vocabulary appropriately, utilizing time, space and energy.
- Demonstrate kinesthetic awareness, mental and physical coordination, rhythmic sensitivity, and musicality.
- Identify dancers and choreographers, describe their contributions to the field of dance, and discuss their processes in creating dance.
- Choreograph and perform movement and demonstrate performance skills of concentration, projection, characterization, expression and ensemble work.
- Demonstrate the ability to schedule and conduct rehearsals, and produce a performance that includes staging, lighting, costuming, decor, and publicity.