Return to: Programs by Area of Interest
DRAFT CT State Community College Catalog 2023-2024
- New students enrolling for the first time in Fall 2023 will begin as students of Connecticut State Community College under this draft catalog.
- Continuing students from one of the 12 community colleges will be transitioned into a CT State program in this draft catalog as of the start of the Fall 2023 term.
- This catalog is a draft to be finalized in the Spring of 2023. The policies, courses and programs described are not applicable until the Fall 2023 term and may be updated as circumstances require.
The Associate in Science degree in Restaurant and Foodservice Management is designed for those interested in careers in restaurant management and other businesses that provide food and beverage to customers. This hospitality/business degree in restaurant/foodservice management teaches the technology used in the industry, menu costing and cost control, marketing, how to wow the customer and create customer loyalty, writing food descriptions and other media related outreach, legal, accounting and human resources (hiring, firing of staff, training and evaluation of employees) aspects of the business, basic food preparation, how to be an entrepreneur and own their own restaurant, food truck, catering or other food related business. Internships provide students with industry experience and learn how to work effectively as a team member in the hospitality industry.
- Describe and apply marketing, sales, customer relations, legal, accounting and human resource techniques used in the restaurant and food service industries.
- Accurately perform mathematical computations and interpret the results with regard to food and beverage cost controls and purchasing.
- Demonstrate ability to write and present about food, such as writing food and concept descriptions, menus, blogs, press releases and media outreach documents, as well as presenting to staff and external constituents.
- Identify and explain the entrepreneurial components of owning a restaurant, food truck and other food focused businesses including site location, funding, concept development, and preparation of a business plan.
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic cooking techniques and use of typical industrial kitchen equipment.