DRAFT CT State Community College Catalog 2023-2024
- New students enrolling for the first time in Fall 2023 will begin as students of Connecticut State Community College under this draft catalog.
- Continuing students from one of the 12 community colleges will be transitioned into a CT State program in this draft catalog as of the start of the Fall 2023 term.
- This catalog is a draft to be finalized in the Spring of 2023. The policies, courses and programs described are not applicable until the Fall 2023 term and may be updated as circumstances require.
The extensive use of electronic health records by all types of healthcare providers will lead to an increased need for medical administrative professionals to organize and manage the associated information in all areas of the healthcare industry. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of medical records and health information technicians is expected to increase by 8 percent from 2019 to 2029, faster than the average for all occupations. This growth is a direct result of the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act of 2009, which was passed to promote and expand the adoption of health information technology as well as an aging workforce in this specialty area, which is promoting continued demand for these highly skilled health care professionals.
Students will demonstrate proficiency via hands-on Labs, software simulations and integrated projects.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, graduates will be able to
- Demonstrate advanced keyboarding speed and accuracy using industry accepted methods
- Demonstrate competency in the use of standard medical office equipment including practice management systems
- Use the common features and functions of specialized EHR applications
- Review electronic health records for timeliness, completeness, accuracy, and appropriateness of health data
- Protect health information for confidentiality, authorized release of information, and data security
- Demonstrate professionalism and positive work habits necessary for success in today’s medical office
Upon completion of this option, graduates can elect to take the following national industry-recognized certifications:
• Certified Electronic Health Record Specialist (CEHRS) via the National Healthcareer Association (NHA)