DRAFT CT State Community College Catalog 2023-2024
- New students enrolling for the first time in Fall 2023 will begin as students of Connecticut State Community College under this draft catalog.
- Continuing students from one of the 12 community colleges will be transitioned into a CT State program in this draft catalog as of the start of the Fall 2023 term.
- This catalog is a draft to be finalized in the Spring of 2023. The policies, courses and programs described are not applicable until the Fall 2023 term and may be updated as circumstances require.
The Associate in Science degree in Hotel Management prepares students interested in careers in the management and day-to-day operations of hotels, inns, and other lodging businesses. This hospitality/ business degree teaches the technology used in the industry, cost controls, marketing, how to “wow” the customer and create customer loyalty, legal, accounting and human resources (hiring, firing of staff, training and evaluation of employees) with emphasis on the lodging industry. Internships provide students with industry experience and teaches how to work effectively as a team member in the hospitality industry.
- Demonstrate the processing of reservations. registering guests, processing guest departures, and resolving guest complaints.
- Describe functional relationships among hotel divisions and departments
- Identify and implement systems and processes for room status changes, front office posting, telephone/PBX, bank maintenance, cash transactions, and security and guest keys.
- Effectively work as a team member, serve clients and customers, teach others new skills, exercise leadership behavior, and work with others from diverse backgrounds.
- Identify current trends in the lodging industry
- Perform basic mathematical computations accurately, especially regarding guest accounting, night audits, and cost controls for hotel and food and beverage operations within the hotel.
- Describe and apply marketing, sales and merchandising methods in lodging operations.