DRAFT CT State Community College Catalog 2023-2024
- New students enrolling for the first time in Fall 2023 will begin as students of Connecticut State Community College under this draft catalog.
- Continuing students from one of the 12 community colleges will be transitioned into a CT State program in this draft catalog as of the start of the Fall 2023 term.
- This catalog is a draft to be finalized in the Spring of 2023. The policies, courses and programs described are not applicable until the Fall 2023 term and may be updated as circumstances require.
The Culinary Arts Associate degree program will give students the knowledge, tools, and skills necessary to be successful in the food service industry. Students will also take general education courses to improve employability, job performance and course transferability to another college or university.
The American Culinary Federation Education Foundation, Inc. Accrediting Commission/Committee accredits the Culinary Arts and Foodservice Management programs. Along with classroom and laboratory study, students will participate in an individually planned, 150 or 300-hour cooperative work experience course, earning credit toward graduation while employed. Graduates may transfer credits and earn baccalaureate degrees at various institutions of higher learning. Students may enroll in this program full or part-time, day or evening.
In addition to this degree, by taking additional credit hours, students may earn an associate degree in Foodservice Management or Hotel-Tourism Management. Graduates from this program may apply to the American Culinary Federation (ACF) to become a Certified Fundamentals Cook®, Certified Culinarian®, both nationally recognized certifications.
Upon successful completion of all Culinary Arts degree program requirements, graduates will:
- Professionalism: Summarize basic principles and concepts of the hospitality industry with its varied career tracks, and apply personal skills, including but not limited to adherence to accepted professional standards and codes of conduct.
- Leadership: Develop and meet the highest standards of professionalism in ethical standards and behavior in management.
- Teamwork: Recognize the importance of working groups, mutual responsibility, and diversity of thought to effective outcomes.
- Culinary Skills: Analyze theory and techniques skills of food preparation and presentation.
- Safety & Sanitation: Safely operate commercial kitchen equipment in an efficient manner and apply safety and environmental sanitation standards of foodservice operations to obtain a ServSafe® certificate.
- Service: Analyze methods of service and management principles for all hospitality operations and learn beverage service through varied styles and menu offerings.
- Cost Controls: Apply basic accounting principles and procedures in the acquisition, costing and inventory controls related to the hospitality and food service industry.
- Sustainable: Explain and describe the importance of a variety of sustainable practices in a food service operation and how they relate to the environment and the success of the organization.
- Technology: Apply technology to food service and hospitality operations.
- Baking Skills: Develop knowledge and skills in basic baking and pastry arts, including cake decorating and artisan breads.
- International Cuisine: Study world cuisines in contemporary cooking as well as their cultural impact on current culinary trends.
- Production: Prepare a business plan which includes menus design, execution and production, which include, catering, classical cold foods preparation, carvings and displays.
- Classical Techniques: Learn the basics of classical techniques in culinary and pastry arts and how they apply to current trends.
- Nutrition: Analyze theory of nutritional standards and how they can be applied to various food service operations.
- Cooperative Experience: Transfer knowledge and apply skills in a production environment to obtain experience in the food service industry.
- General Education: Complete the comprehensive learning outcomes identified with the General Education Core.
Industry Certifications Offered within program: ServSafe® Food Protection Manager, and TIPS® Training Industry Certifications prepared for by program: Certified Fundamentals Cook®, Certified Culinarian®, Certified Fundamentals Pastry Cook™, or Certified Pastry Culinarian®